CAPPELLA DEGLI SCROVEGNI IN PADUA
- LOCATION: Cappella degli Scrovegni
In the Cappella degli Scrovegni in Padua is conserved one of the most important fresco cycles in history: 1000 square meters of paintings dedicated to the Old and New Testaments, by Giotto.
The chapel is named after the owner Enrico Scrovegni, a powerful money-lender, who had it built in the early ‘300. Giotto frescoed it in 855 days, between 1302 and 1305.
The narration covers the entire walls with the stories of the Virgin and Christ, while in the counter is painted the Universal Judgment, with which is concluded the story of human salvation.
The chapel, dedicated to the Virgin announced, for the repose of the soul of Reginaldo Scrovegni, father of Enrico, located in the Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri in hell because he was an usurer, is presented as a singleambient, ending at the bottom with a presbytery that houses the sarcophagus of the client. A simple architecture, perhaps by Giotto, made of narrow and high windows, and a gothic light window on the facade.
Since, in 1880, the chapel was acquired by the city of Padua, frescoes have been continuously subject of special attention and, in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, there have been a number of conservation projects. The last controls, indicating a stabilization of the situation made possible to perform the restoration, carried out by the Central Institute for Restoration due to the Memorandum of Understanding protocol signed between the Municipality and the Ministry of Heritage and Culture.
The cognitive path proposes seven multimedia posts useful for the knowledge of the frescoes of the Chapel and the historical and artistic context in which Giotto operated.
All year from 9:00 to 19:00
VISITS OF 15 MINUTES during the day 9:00 to 19:00 during the following periods:
June 1 to 15
December 1 to 15
VISITS OF 20 MINUTES:
All EVENING TOURS in time 19:00 to 10:00 p.m..
-DAYTIME VISITS with duration of 20 minutes at these times:
From 16 June to 30
From 16 December to 31.