The second theater, in importance and capacity, in Venice, is the Goldoni, a few steps from the Rialto Bridge. The Goldoni Theater is the classic example of Italian theater, with four tiers of boxes and about 800 seats. The Goldoni Theater was built in the first half of the 1600s and then underwent numerous renovations and rearrangements. The golden period of the Theater, then called Vendramin, certainly dates back to the second half of the 1700s when one of the most important city playwrights was hired: Carlo Goldoni. In order for it to be officially named after the great Venetian writer, it was then necessary to wait until 1875, on the anniversary of Goldoni's birth. Closed after the Second World War because it was unsafe and expropriated in 1957, after a long restoration, it was reopened in 1979 after a complete renovation that improved its capacity and services. The Goldoni Theater is home to the "Carlo Goldoni" Teatro Stabile del Veneto, which organizes the drama season, the Contemporary Theater review, and other licensed events, ballets and concerts.