The San Giorgio Island Church is a masterpiece of Palladio.
The San Giorgio Island
, in front of the Doge’s Palace, on the other side of the canal, is characterize by the presence of a high steeple
that offers a beautiful view of the lagoon and by the harmonious mock-classical façade of a Palladian Basilica: San Giorgio Maggiore Church
. The steeple dates from 1791 on the model of the St. Mark one. It is surmounted by the statue of St. George. You can either go up by lift or by climbing the wooden stairs. The church
was founded in the 10th century and rebuilt on a Palladio’s
project starting from 1565, butwas only completed in 1610, 30 years after his death, by Simone Sorella.
The facade, that reminds of the ancient Greek and Roman temples, is characterized by the presence of two different architectural parties, as in the Church of the Redentore
, in antithesis to the Byzantine and Gothic tradition that characterizes most of the main churches in Venice
. The nave is delimited by 4 columns carrying a gable.
How to get there: Vaporetto of the Actv 2 line with San Giorgio stop departing from: San Zaccaria (journey time approximately 3 minutes) Railway (journey time approximately 45 minutes) Piazzale Roma (journey time approximately 40 minutes)
Opening: The Basilica is open every day: April - October from 9.00 to 19.00; November - March from 8.30 to 18.00. (Visits are suspended during liturgical services).
Hours Holy Mass Every day from Monday to Saturday the Holy Mass is celebrated at 7.40 am in the chapel of the Deposition, Sunday Mass is celebrated at 11.00 am in the Basilica.
Free entrance to the Church. Entrance to the bell tower € 6.00