Venice Ghetto and Jewish Museum

  • EMAIL:

  • TELEFONO E FAX: 041 715359


  • LOCATION: Campo del ghetto, Cannaregio, Venezia

Ghetto is a Venetian word and the ghettos of the whole world owe their name to the small island completely surrounded by a ring of water where the Jews lived: Venice Ghetto.

HISTORY: At the end of the 15th century the Republic, always ready to take advantage from situations, granted the Jews (who weren’t allowed to own anything and had therefore become money-lenders, small retailers, doctors and musicians) the right to live in a limited area of the city. From 1516 to 1797 they resided in an area characterized by the presence of cannon foundries, where the casting of metals (ghetto, or getto) was performed, hence the name Ghetto which was, therefore, born in Venice. THE SINAGOGUES: In Campo del Ghetto Nuovo stand the high multi-storey where the Jewish community was forced to live in such a limited area that high floors were cut into two and as many floors as possible were added. In the dense urban structure, some domes mark the presence of synagogues, ldings Cannaregio 72 and can be identified by the presence of tall windows on the top floor. There are 7 of them and the most famous ones are the 3 most ancient ones, all settled in the aforementioned Campo: the Scuola Grande Tedesca (1528-29, renovated in the 18th century) the Scuola Canton (1931-32) and the Scuola Italiana (1575, renovated at the beginning of the 18th century). Opening Times of the Museum from June 1st to September 30th: 10.00 a.m. - 07.00 p.m. from October 1st to May 31st: 10.00 a.m. - 05.30 p.m. Guided Tours to the Synagogues You can visit synagogues thanks to guided tours leaving every hour at the half past, in Italian and English. Opening time at 10.30 a.m.; last guided tour from June 1st to September 30th , at 5.30 p.m.; from October 1st to May 31st , at 4.30 p.m. It is possible, that the last tour of Friday afternoon can be reduced or cancelled for ritual reasons. Tickets: Entrance to the Museum € 4.00 Full price € 3.00 Reduced price Entrance to the Museum and Guided Tours to Synagogues € 10.00 Full price € 8.00 Reduced price


Facebook Comments